Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Shameless plug for Old Movies

One of the things that Erin and I like to do together are watch movies. We like to borrow them from the Provo library, because, well, they're free there. And you can borrow up to 4 at a time for a 3 week period. That adds up to a lot of free dates! (Being college students, the word free is *almost* as important as the word date) Anyhow, what I'm trying to get at is that while the movies at the Provo library are free, they're not exactly full of new releases. So we've been trying lots of different kinds of movies. And I came to this realization--old movies are REALLY good!!! Granted, I knew this growing up, as Arsenic and Old Lace has always been one of my favorite movies, just because of how funny it is! But we've tried lots of older movies (When I say older, I mean pre-1980s...some people may disagree with this definition, but hey, it's my blog!) and have been disappointed with none of them! Among them are Casablanca, Twelve Angry Men (never has so much been done with so little, in terms of scenery and location), Murder on the Orient Express, a great murder mystery, And Then There Were None (another great murder mystery...the theme song is so haunting...). I also saw a James Bond movie for the first time through this movie-borrowing kick. And besides all the unnecessary womanizing of Mr. Bond, it wasn't that bad either. But the reason I brought up these old movies was because last night I saw for the first time the classic Jaws. Of course I'd heard the music before--they play it at every Gator game, and I attended my fair share back in my Gainesville days--but to hear it in the movie, when you know the killer shark is coming...I was very impressed with what I believe was only the 2nd of Steven Spielberg's productions. So, anyway, if you ever have free time, or want a cheap date, go to your local library, find an old classic, and enjoy!

No comments: